IBM’sÂ public sector business analytics and optimizationÂ practice and theÂ Partnership for Public ServiceÂ recently released a report on the role of analytics in measuring agency performance. The report revealed that data collection is only the first step in turning facts and figures into usable information.
“Without good measures, without good data to track progress, to foster collaboration, to increase transparency so the public knows what’s being achieved, it can be difficult to know if you’re getting the results to drive towards that,” John Palguta, vice president of the Partnership for Public Service, told Federal News Radio.
The report found the best practices of the agency programs include:
- The Federal Aviation Administration‘s safety management system
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services nursing-home program
- Social Security‘s customer service initiatives
- The Housing and Urban Development and Veterans Affairs Department‘s veteran housing program and
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration‘s “Click it or Ticket” public-safety campaign.