The Federal Aviation Administration has moved to restrict operations of unmanned aerial vehicles nearÂ Energy DepartmentÂ facilities per request ofÂ U.S national security and law enforcement agencies.
FAA said MondayÂ it willÂ use the agency’s authorityÂ under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations section to prohibit drone flights within 400 feet of seven DOE facilities.
The restriction will take effect Dec. 29 and is included in a notice to airmen as well as FAA’s interactive online map andÂ B4UFLY mobile application.
The DOE facilities covered by the restriction are:
- Hanford Site, Franklin County, WA
- Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, ID
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
- Pantex Site, Panhandle, TX
- Savannah River National Laboratory, Aiken, SC
- Y-12 National Security Site, Oak Ridge, TN
FAA issued a similar drone flight restriction on 10 Interior Department facilities in October.