The Defense Department Office of the Inspector General has released a report that outlines the top management and performance challenges that DoD currently faces.
DoD IGÂ said Nov. 20 it determined the challenges based on the office’s oversight work, research and judgement, oversight work from other DoD components, oversight missions from the Government Accountability Office and information from DoD officials.
The “Top DoD Management Challenges – Fiscal Year 2018” document covers issues that the department should address over the next fiscal year.
DoD IG also uses the document as a research and planning tool to help determine risk areas within the department’s operations.
Department challenges outlined in the report are:
- Countering strategic challenges from North Korea, Russia, China, Iran and transnational terrorism
- Enabling effective acquisition and contract management
- Ensuring ethical conduct
- Identifying and implementing efficiencies
- Improving financial management
- Increasing cybersecurity and cyber capabilities
- Maintaining the nuclear enterprise
- Optimally balancing readiness, modernization and force structure
- Providing effective, comprehensive and cost-effective health care