The Defense DepartmentÂ expects Congress to reject the Pentagon’s estimatedÂ $70 billion proposalÂ to fund other areasÂ by reshuffling the military compensation structure, Federal News Radio reported Wednesday.
Jared Serbu writes congressional committees worked toÂ reverse $31 billion in proposed weapons programs retirement and modification efforts.
Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work told the station his department also expects to operate under aÂ continuing resolution when it introduces its fiscal year 2016 budget proposal in February.
Congressional disapproval of DoD’sÂ cost-reduction proposals comes as the U.S. military seeks toÂ help combat the Islamic State group and other global crises without additional appropriations from Congress, according to the report.
TheÂ Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments estimates the cost of U.S. air strikes on IS-held territories to reachÂ $930 million so far,Â Serbu reports.
Work toldÂ Federal News Radio the department funded those operations out of its overseasÂ contingency operations budget.
He said that DoD plans to develop new methods to employÂ surge forces from troops who are about to deploy or already deployed in order to build readiness, the station reports.